Share/Like This Post

Friday, February 24, 2012

Broccoli Slaw with an Asian Flair

Have you ever had that kind of broccoli slaw where you take the package of Ramen Noodles and use the season pack mixed with some vinegar and sugar and then crunch the noodles on top?? Yeah I have too and I love it, have made it several times in the past and find it particularly delicious. But have you ever read the label of a Ramen noodle pack and the season pack? If any of you know what even half that crap is, let me know! I can tell you that if I can avoid feeding things like that to my family I will every time! My general rule of thumb is, 'if I can't pronounce it or just go buy it as an ingredient then I am not feeding it to my family.' Anything that cost 19 cents after being made(proccessed), packaged and shipped/trucked to a grocery store and still costs only 19 cents is probably not great for you right???
Last week I was craving that kind of broccoli slaw and was going to make it with a package of ramen but as I stood in the store trying to figure out what those ingredients were I decided I would try to make it on my own. And I have to tell you, if you like that kind, you will love this version. It is made with all ingredients you have on hand and can easily pronounce!!

Ingredients:
1 Package Broccoli Slaw
1-2 cups Broccoli Florets
1/3 cup Apple Cider vinegar
1 T Brown Sugar
1/4 t Onion Powder
1/4 t Garlic Powder
1.5 T Soy Sauce (I used Gluten Free Tamari)
2 T Sunflower Seeds
3 T Sliced Almonds
1/3 cup Dried Cranberries

Directions:
Whisk together vinegar, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, soy sauce, until smooth. Pour over the broccoli slaw and florets and top with sunflower seeds, almonds and dried cranberries. You can serve right away or refrigerate for up to 2 days.


Weight Watcher Friends: This amount makes six 1 cup servings and each are 1.5 points.

No comments:

Post a Comment